Sunday, October 11, 2009

-- Fall Flavors --


The leaves are turning and clearly, fall is here! I have to admit this is probably my favorite season; the crisp cool air, warm sunlight and beautiful red, orange and yellow leaves are just stunning. Fall-esque (is that even a word?! Oh well, I like it!) cooking and flavors are also so amazing! I immediately think of Thanksgiving...by far one of my favorite holidays.

As I was thinking of fall recipes, my friend called me to tell me he had an entire bag of apples he wanted to drop off from his apple picking day in Michigan. It was perfect! I needed to create something for a brunch I was invited to, so I decided to use these amazing little apples to make a warm apple strudel. Delicious!

Warm Apple Strudel

1 sheet of puff pastry (can be found in frozen food section)
3-4 apples (use what is in season)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
3/4 c brown sugar
1 tablespoon Amaretto (optional)
1 egg
Powdered sugar for decorating

Turn the oven on at 400 degrees.
Peel and slice the apples into thin pieces. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Set aside. On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry slightly. Add the apple mix in the center. Tuck the two short ends, and then fold one of the large ends over the mix. With your fingers add a small amount of water to the end and then fold the last side over it. Flip over. Lightly brush the egg over the strudel and then make diagonal cuts along the pastry with a sharp knife.

Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar. Serve warm. Enjoy!!!!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin