Monday, September 7, 2009

-- Dust off those Pans! --

Labor Day weekend is often referred to as the unofficial end of summer and beginning of fall. That means that my grill is finally going to catch a break (who am I kidding, I'll still use it until its covered in snow)! The point is, fall is a good time to start dusting off my pans. I decided to try one of the recipes I had seen on Cooking Light a while back. I wanted something light with a citrus taste and had some frozen tilapia in the freezer so decided to give this one a whirl.

The real recipe calls for a Lemon-Peppercorn Sauce but I wanted to use capers instead of the peppercorns. You can pick which one you prefer; I know capers are not everyone's favorite. I served the tilapia with a small portion of pasta and drizzled it with a little olive oil and pecorino cheese. Easy to make and a great meal anytime! This would work well for a small dinner party too.


Sauteed Tilapia with Lemon-Caper Pan Sauce

2 tilapia filets (can use Sole too)
3/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vegtable oil
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons of capers, drained

Melt 1 teaspoon of butter with oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat.
While butter melts, sprinkle fish fillets with salt and black pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge fillets in flour; shake off excess flour.
Increase heat to medium-high; heat 2 minutes or until butter turns golden brown. Add fillets to pan; sauté 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fillets from pan. Add broth mixture to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in two teaspoons of butter with a whisk. Serve sauce over fillets. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired
.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin